Thursday, July 25, 2013

? Backward Write You Do

I walk through the door and my wife greets me with that look. The ensuing conversation starts with "I have edits due tomorrow and..." followed by something the cats have done, a list of phone solicitations received which broke all hope for concentration, and a pseudo emergency involving our house's plumbing.

Eventually I get the question: "What do you want to do for supper?"

This can't be answered just by checking with my gut to see what its craving. There are options to be considered. Eat out? Fast food? Run to the grocery store? Leftovers? How big of a plumbing problem do we have?

But since I look at things backward, I don't start with the obvious choices. Here's my thought process:

I have meetings early tomorrow so I'll have to get up sooner than normal.
To get enough sleep so I'm not a zombie at that meeting, I'll need to go to bed at least an hour early.
I really want to finish writing that scene I started last night so I need to allow at least ninety minutes in front of the computer.
This plumbing problem may require a quick trip to Lowes so that's about thirty minutes used up.
How much time does that leave for eating and how long will each option take?

Get the picture? I can't answer a simple question without working backward from the furthest known constant. I know my meeting in the morning is unbreakable so all preceding events must be arranged in a neat pattern.

That's also how I write. I find the ending, a constant idea of how a given situation should be resolved, then work backward.

How many characters do I need to gather at the end to finish the story?
Who do they need to be and what is there involvement?
How do I setup each character or group of characters to get to that ending?
What scenes need to be crafted to get characters to a place where their future actions will be believable?
What side stories and characters need to be developed to further the story?
How should each character be introduced so their involvement will point to the ultimate ending?
What threads need to be entwined through scenes and story lines so all pieces meet at the end?

I'm pooped just looking at that list but that's how I work. My current project is a three book arc following separate groups whose stories will (I promise) converge. The final chapter of the third book was written before the first half of the first book. The entire second book was written before I had a clue how the first book would start.

That's not to say I'm locked into a strict liner outline from which I can't diverge. I know the ending and the characters required, but how they get there is a mystery until it unravels on the screen. Large and small story lines evolve then get tossed in the trash bin but the overall constant remains.

My thought process sometimes irks my wife. Hopefully I don't have the same effect on readers. One thing is for sure, I don't want to write any more three book story arcs. This has been one extremely long lesson learned.

Well, I've piddled around long enough that it's too late for fast food or eating out. Guess it's leftovers for all.

Do You Write Backward? (I knew all along that's how I'd end this post.)

C.L. Blanton

No comments:

Post a Comment