Thursday, May 16, 2013

Not So Fast, Not So Furious


The slow build.

That’s how I’ve always looked at life’s more important moments. Take your time. Nothing built to last rises in just one day. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

This slow build is difficult for someone with patience issues. I've learned to fake nonchalance. Sure I’d love a good get-rich-quick plan to drop wealth and glory upon my deserving head, but I don’t have any plans for that to happen any time soon. Instead I take the slow road.

When I started my business career I didn’t aim for a plumb job straight out of college. I entered low, the banking equivalent of the mail room without actually sorting mail. I worked my way up, sliding from one job to the next until I looked around and realized I’d reached a long ago stated goal.

For me, in my day job, the slow build worked. Sure I was vastly underpaid for a while. Sure others got higher quicker. But I understood my job from the ground up. I earned respect. And that wasn’t by accident or because I didn’t have any other choices. That was how I wanted to begin.

What about writing?

Internet, Twitter, and all other social media landing zones are full of get-rich-quick plans for thrusting your future prize winning missive before the yearning throngs (there’s that word again). I understand their worth. For as little as $15 I can have my link tweeted to thousands of people who otherwise wouldn’t have known what they were missing. They probably still won’t buy my book, but at least they’ll know they’re missing it.

I’m not saying I won’t eventually take a flyer on one of those offers. I’ll keep sending out tweets every once in a while touting my story. I’ll probably have a free day on Amazon to see if Frank (my book’s lead character) can con (he’s a con-man) a few bargain hunters to bite.

And don’t think for a second any of this means I don’t care. I bleed for this book. There isn’t a chapter, page, sentence, or word that at some point hasn’t been agonized over.

Would he really say that? What imagery should frame her reaction? Is this the perfect word to portray his thoughts or that setting?

ABSOLUTION'S CURSE is my youngest child and I've released it to the world. Like any loving father, I want it to do well. I try to stand back and watch it struggle to crawl, find legs, and someday walk on its own. I keep my hands out, ready to offer support or guidance when needed.

Maybe I should do more. Maybe I should just carry my story around on my shoulders, constantly singing its praise, pushing it (dirty diapers and all) into as many faces as possible. Or maybe I should wait and see where it wants to go.

That impatient voice wins at least once a day. I log onto the sales report with a feigned air of indifference but still feel my heart sink when the numbers don’t move.

(Note to Amazon: I appreciate the ability to see sales totals in near real time but I think I’d be better off if you could somehow limit my views since I’m obviously unable to stay away on my own.)

I have to tell myself, “Not So Fast.” Slow down. If I really want the art of writing to become something special for me then take the time to make it right.

I have to remind myself, “Not So Furious.” Don’t let the lack of comments, views, reviews, and sales turn what began as an internal challenge into an all devouring obsession.

The slow build tells me to keep my eyes forward, fingers typing, and face smiling. I’ve reached my goal. What percentage of others in the history of mankind can say they’ve completed a novel?

Everything from here on out is gravy.


Lance (C.L.) Blanton

No comments:

Post a Comment